Foods to Help Battle Sickness
Back to our routines after a busy holiday season but your body may be worn down and more susceptible to the sicknesses that float around classrooms & home this time of year.
Fortunately for us, there are plenty of ways to help build up our immunity with food to help fight off those germs. Altoona Hy-Ve Dietitian, Allysa Ballantini has a great group of foods that can help us avoid getting sick.
Try these foods:
- Citrus fruits – grapefruit, oranges
- Legumes – Nuts/Seeds
- Berries – Fiber & antioxidants
- Legumes – Black beans
- Fermented foods (yogurt-probiotics)
- Lean sources of protein (meats, dairy, seafood)
- Whole grains – oatmeal, wheat bread, ground rice
- Leafy greens – kale, spinach, broccoli
Learn how to make an immunity-packed snack! Here is what you will need for your Green Smoothies:
Green Smoothie Recipe: Serves 2
All you need:
- 2 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 1/2 c. frozen mango chunks
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 c. packed baby spinach
- 3/4 c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk
All you do:
- Place all ingredients in blender.
- Blend until smooth.
Other great ways that can help kids combat the cold and flu are including more movement in their days, getting more sleep, and drinking more water!