Kalona Gingerbread Bars
All You Need!
- Gingerbread Bars
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free oat flour
- 2 tsp ground Hy-Vee ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp Hy-Vee cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp Hy-Vee baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Hy-Vee salt
- 1/2 cup Kalona SuperNatural Organic 100% Grass-Fed Cultured Whole Milk Vanilla Kefir
- 6 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 4 1/2 Tbsp molasses
- 2 large Hy-Vee eggs
- 4 1/2 Tbsp Hy-Vee Coconut oil, melte
- 4 oz Hy-Vee cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp Hy-Vee vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Kalona SuperNatural Organic Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 cup Hy-Vee powdered sugar, sifted
Things to Grab!
- Measuring Cups
- Small Pot
- Hand Mixer
All You Do!
- Place a small pot on the stove over medium heat, add half a cup of water and immediately add the spices. Add the cinnamon stick, cloves, and star anise.
- Cook the spice infusion half covered over low heat for at least 10 minutes. Turn off the stove, remove from the heat, and strain the spices. Discard the spices and preserve the infusion.
- Return the infusion to the pot, and dissolve the dark chocolate and instant coffee in it, whisking with a hand mixer.
- Then add the whole milk and the evaporated milk. Stir well until all ingredients are mixed.
- Add the pinch of nutmeg and continue beating without letting the mixture boil.
- Dissolve the tablespoon of cornstarch in three tablespoons of water. Add the diluted cornstarch to the chocolate and continue beating in circles until the chocolate is thick.
- If desired, add one more teaspoon of cornstarch.
- Cook for three more minutes, add sugar to taste, and serve hot in large cups or mugs.
- If you like chocolate with a lot of foam, blend it before serving.
- Decorate with whipped cream, marshmallows, or cinnamon powder. ENJOY!
Print the Kalona Gingerbread Bars recipe card here!