Plan & Design Your Garden
Have you ever tried planting a garden? Gardening is fun to look at beautiful flower and grow nutritious foods that help give your body energy. Planting a garden is good for your body through all the hard work and beauty but it is also good for the environment.
Your environment is where you live, play or work. Environmental wellness means living in surroundings that support your health and well-being. All of the people and things around you are a part of your environment. Surrounding yourself with people and things that make you happy and keep you healthy is an easy way to support your environmental wellness.
Build your garden and improve your Environmental Wellness for your family.
PRO TIP: Don't forget to accessorize your garden! *print on card stock paper and and enjoy watching your pinwheel spin in your garden.
Get your KidsFit Pinwheels HERE!
Here’s How You Do It:
All You Need:
- Vegetable Seeds
- A Pot
- Fresh Water
- A sunny area
All You Do:
- Pick your vegetable
- Fill your pot with soil and plant your seeds! Make sure to pay special attention to any instructions on the back of your seed packet, different plants may have different needs!
- Wait and watch your plant grow! This will take some time, remember to check in on your plants often and stay patient!
- Water your plant and learn how to check the soil.
- Harvest your vegetables! You could even use the vegetables you grow for the Summer of Smiles Social Challenge, Cook A Meal for Your Family!
- Complete the Plant a Vegetable reflection worksheet.
- Once it’s time to harvest, have a conversation with your child about what they did for the environment and what the environment is doing for them in return. Their plant was able to grow by having sunlight, soil and water and in return the vegetable will provide them with nutrients to energize them and help them grow!
- Ask your child what things they need in their environment to help them grow.
- Encourage your child to think of ways they can take responsibility for creating their own positive environment the way they did for their vegetable garden.