Plan & Pack a Family Picnic
It’s picnic time! Packing healthy can be easy when using MyPlate. Here are some great go-to items to fill your picnic basket. Have fun at the picnicking with your friends and family!
- For fun fruit ideas, pack frozen grapes, watermelon slices
- Rainbow fruit kabobs include: strawberries/watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple, kiwi, blueberries and purple grapes.
- Pack your own “dip-and-eat” jars!
- Use a small jar, place your favorite dip on the bottom such as Ranch dressing, hummus or even guacamole.
- Next add a variety of vegetables cut into sticks such as carrots, cucumbers, celery, jicama, peppers, yellow squash or zucchini.
- Have fun and dip and eat!
- Sources comes from a variety of foods including meats, nuts, beans and soyfoods.
- Roll together a slice of deli meat, cheese and cut into ½ inch segments.
- Next stick a pretzel through each section of meat and cheese.
- The best nutrition comes from a variety of whole grains.
- Use whole wheat tortillas to make a wrap and cut into slices – a fun, easy to eat pinwheel!
- Pack a bag of popcorn! Popcorn is a natural whole grain and great source of fiber!
- For some easy ideas pack cheese sticks, frozen go-gurts or smoothies.
- Make an easy PB fruit dip
- Combine 2 tablespoons of Hy-Vee Health Market peanut butter powder
- With a container of (5.3 oz) Hy-Vee vanilla Greek yogurt.
- Dip your rainbow fruit kabobs and enjoy!