Vacation season is an opportunity to build new memories with your family and friends. Vacations can mean traveling to exotic places all over the world, taking a road trip to a new town, or simply scheduling time to unwind by visiting a new park, beach, or attraction near you.
Vacations are important because they break our daily routines. New schedules keep our minds flexible and teach us how to adapt. New people and places keep our minds open to the food, experiences and ideas of cultures different from our own.
Scheduling time to relax, smile and focus on people you love is an is a great way to boost your emotional wellness too! Make your family’s time in the car quality time by challenging everyone to go screen-free. Screen-free time promotes connecting with one another and allows you to use your imagination to stay occupied. Build Travel Traditions with Hy-Vee KidsFit to encourage conversations and limit boredom for the whole family!
Here’s How You Do It!
- Print a copy of the Travel Traditions worksheet for each family member playing.
PRO TIP: Laminate this worksheet and keep in the car with dry erase markers for endless travel fun!
- Read the directions of all four games, have the youngest person in the car choose their favorite, then start playing!
- Once you are done with the first game, alternate who picks the next game until you complete the worksheet.
- Erase your gameboards and repeat until you have reached your destination!
PRO TIP: For each new round, use a different characteristic to decide who will choose the first game. Examples include longest hair, alphabetical order, tallest, birthday month, and so many more!
Travel & Train Movements
- Stop Sign = Cherry Pickers
- Traffic Light = Shoulder Stretch
- Corn Field = Arms Overhead
- Semi = Semi Horn Honk
- Rest Area = Neck Stretch Left & Right
- Out of State License Plate = Seated Trunk Rotations
- Bird = Shoulder Rolls Back
- Deer = Shoulder Rolls Forward
- Body of Water = Front Crawl
BONUS: Your body & mind will feel better after completing great stretches and movements while traveling in the car.
Safe Travels everyone! Checkout the list below for more KidsFit activities that are great for travel!